Front view of the Thomas Smart Gymnasium, c. 1940s
(Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections & Archives, Harry Reuben Reynolds Photograph Collection, P0004 008:01)
Smart Gymnasium (1912–1969)
In 1912 Board of Trustees member Thomas Smart donated funds to construct a college gymnasium. The Smart Gymnasium offered exercise facilities for the student body, including a heated pool. Most importantly, however, it provided a home for Aggie basketball, previously relegated to leasing facilities at its chief local rival, the Brigham Young College. Razed in 1969, the Smart Gym became a parking lot until construction of today’s Living Learning Community.