Brigham Young College: Campus Views and Other Buildings
Campus Views and Other Buildings
The Laboratory Building
The BYC’s Laboratory Building was a repurposed stone barn already located on the grounds of the campus when the school purchased the land from the Thatchers. It was a two-story structure that contained the physical, biological, and chemical laboratories as well as recitations rooms. Robert D. Lewis noted that former students “remember the powerful odors which once emanated from the old stone laboratory.”
Upon its demolition, Lewis commented that “for many years after the College had been virtually forgotten, even in the city of its founding, the old stone building continued to serve various purposes. At the time it was torn down, the building was the repository for the historical relics accumulated by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP) and the Cache Valley Chapter of the Utah State Historical Society, a use particularly suitable for the old stone structure which was itself of historical importance. The razing of this building resulted in reminiscence among those who were acquainted with the College which once surrounded the old stone laboratory.”
The Woodruff School
BYC Normal School students used the nearby Woodruff School, a local public school, as a normal training center for the prospective school teachers. This building, constructed in 1892, was located on First South and First West on the opposite corner from BYC’s East Building. It was used as an elementary school until 1939 when a new Woodruff School opened on Second West. The building was then owned by Utah State University for several years and served many purposes including as a men’s dormitory for the National Youth Administration (NYA) federal program.
The Principal’s/President’s Residence
The Principal’s, and later President’s, residence was located immediately to the west of the East Building. The home was one of the structures on the Thatcher property when it was purchased by BYC and had served as the former home of Hezekiah Thatcher (built circa 1865).
Although these plans drawn up in 1907 were never fully realized, they do show that the administration of BYC was thinking about, and hopeful of, the continued development of the campus. The plans show the completed West Building and Nibley Hall on the right. To the left of Nibley Hall is the planned Administration Building, Chemistry Building, and Engineering Building.
Bulletin issued by Brigham Young College featuring images of campus (click cover to view inside)